Software that easily converts PowerPoint presentations to videos is a useful tool for anyone who wants to share their files on social media, blogs, or video sharing sites. Converting your PowerPoint presentation to video before posting will protect your presentation from modification and repackaging by someone else. It will also allow you to play it on a wide array of video supporting devices like Smart TVs, tablets, and smartphones.
But, if you’d like to convert your presentation to video, that doesn’t necessarily mean you need to look to third-party software. Beginning with version 2010, Microsoft PowerPoint itself can do just that. Here are the steps you need to follow to convert your PowerPoint slides into video format.
How to Convert PowerPoint Slides (PPT) to MP4 Video
1. Open the PowerPoint presentation you’d like to convert.
2. Click on File.
3. The next step will differ based on which version of PowerPoint you’re using. Click on
- Save & Send, in PowerPoint 2010.
- Export, in version 2013 and above.
- Save as Movie, if using PowerPoint for Mac.
4. Select Create a Video in Windows or Save as Movie in the Mac OS.
5. Proceed to the conversion process and wait for the output video to be created.
It’s great to have this feature included in PowerPoint itself, but we experienced that the timings of slide transitions in a video converted this way may be off. So, if you find yourself in a situation like this, or if you use PowerPoint 2007, which doesn’t support conversion to video, here are the top ten PowerPoint to video converters:
1. iSpring River
iSpring River integrates with PowerPoint and allows you to convert your slideshows to MP4 format and upload them directly to YouTube in a single click. It can help teachers and trainers in the education and corporate sectors to turn even the most complex PowerPoint presentations into crystal-clear 1080p HD format. The video file the tool creates is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Android operating systems.
- Preserves all the transitions and animations of the original slideshow
- Works with PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013/2016/2019
- Allows you to change conversion quality and resolution
- Converts audio narration along with the slides
- Can upload converted video straight to your YouTube channel
- Qualified technical support
- No batch conversion
- Trial version applies a watermark to the output
- Doesn’t support Mac OS
2. PowerVideoPoint Lite
The Free PPT to Video Converter by Digital Office Pro will convert your PowerPoint presentation file to WMV, MOV, MKV, and ASF formats. Video files are compatible with most mobile devices, including Apple and Android smartphones.
- No watermark
- Converts PowerPoint presentation files to WMV, MOV, ASF, and MKV formats
- Video retains all transitions and animations of the original
- Supports audio narration and batch conversion
- You can record video and audio narration during conversion
- Can freeze on big presentations
- No technical support is provided with the free version
- Does not support MP4
3. RZ PowerPoint Converter
$39.99 for a lifetime license
RZ Soft is a PowerPoint to video converter that supports all versions of PowerPoint (going back to 2003) and all PowerPoint formats. The software adjusts the final output size and resolution to user specifications.
- No time limit for use of the free version
- Lets you convert to ASF, AVI, FLV, WMV, MOV, and MP4 formats
- Can convert to DVD and allows you to design your own menu
- The video retains all the original slideshow features, such as animation, video clips, transitions, and sounds
- The free version adds a watermark to output (all formats except AVI)
- Didn’t work with PowerPoint 2019 when we tested it
- Only the paid version has HD
$44.95 for a lifetime license
Free to try, Leawo PowerPoint Converter will convert your PowerPoint slideshow into popular video formats. A dated graphical interface can be accepted as a trade-off for an ability to batch convert presentations.
- Able to convert slideshows to over 23 video formats
- Batch conversion
- The video retains all the bells and whistles of the original PowerPoint presentation
- Lets you add background music
- Doesn’t support PowerPoint 2016/2019
- The free version adds a watermark to the output
- Does not work with the Mac OS
5. Online Convert
Online Convert is a free web service that converts your PowerPoint to multiple video formats and allows you to download the final video to your computer. The site also offers a number of other useful file converters, all free, and with no watermark in the final output file.
- WAllows you to upload presentations from your computer or Dropbox / Google Drive link
- Supports many video formats (AVI, FLV, MKV, MOV, MP4, MPG, WMV, and WEBM)
- No watermark on output video
- You have to upload your presentations to the Online Convert server, which requires a lot of time
6. ImTOO Convert PowerPoint to Video Free
$29.95 for a lifetime license
The ImToo converter boasts the ability to convert your PowerPoint files to video without the need to have PowerPoint installed on your computer. This software also enables you to add commentaries, watermarks, and music to your PowerPoint before converting it.
- Converts files to most popular video formats (AVI, MP4, MOV, MPEG2, MOV, WMV, and FLV)
- Allows for rapid conversion of files (requires that PowerPoint is installed)
- The free version only allows the use of rapid conversion
- Doesn’t work with PowerPoint 2019
- Only converts up to 800 x 600 video resolution
$49.95 for a lifetime license
Xilisoft PowerPoint to MP4 Converter is a doppelganger of the ImTOO converter with a slightly more limited functionality in the free version. It allows you to convert PowerPoint presentations to a number of popular video formats, including full high-definition (HD) quality. This software provides a number of tools to help you customize and tweak your presentation prior to conversion.
- Offers a number of various outputs (AVI, FLV, MP4, MOV, MPEG2, and WMV)
- Converts presentations to HD videos
- Doesn’t require PowerPoint in order to convert
- The free version only converts the first 10 slides
- Very resource intensive
- May crash with large files
8. Moyea PPT to Video Converter
$49.95 for a lifetime license
Like Leawo, MoyeaSoft PowerPoint to Video Converter can convert your PowerPoint slideshow to a variety of popular video formats, preserving all the effects in the original file. Video files are compatible with most tablets, portable media players, video game consoles, and mobile phones.
- User-friendly interface
- A good range of video outputs (15 different formats)
- Sometimes stops in the middle of the conversion process and requires a reboot
- A big watermark is placed at the center of presentations
- Resource intensive
- Unable to convert PowerPoint to video if Microsoft PowerPoint isn’t installed
9. E.M. PowerPoint Video Converter Pro
$45.95 for a lifetime license
ETinySoft PowerPoint Video Converter claims to be an all-in-one PowerPoint to video converter, capable of converting files to almost all popular video formats. The site provides a number of tutorial videos to help users get started.
- Users can choose between high-quality, simple, and rapid conversion
- Offers a number of output formats
- Can also convert PowerPoint files to JPG slides in a variety of formats
- Consumes a great amount of computer resources
$19.95 for a single personal user license
The converter by VeryPDF will convert your PowerPoint presentation to a number of video formats and is compatible with most versions of Windows, including Vista and XP.
- Supports AVI, SWF, ASF, FLV, MOV, MP4, and MPEG2
- An easy conversion process that preserves original features, such as animations and slide transitions
- Includes a video to GIF animation converter
- Can’t work simultaneously with other apps; almost all computer resources are used
- No preview section
- Trial version only allows the conversion of 3 presentations
- Requires PowerPoint in order to work
There are many features to compare when considering the right PowerPoint conversion software. Quality of output, support of PowerPoint effects, compatibility with modern devices, and one-click publishing are all important factors to take into consideration. If you need a reliable PowerPoint to video converter that does the job no matter how many slides and animations are in your presentation, get a trial of iSpring River, the number one option on our list.