There are several ways of PowerPoint to Flash conversion solution creation with FlashSpring Server. Depending on project demands, estimated number of presentation conversions, and scalability of the solution, you can choose one of the following ways of FlashSpring Server integration.
Simple online PowerPoint to Flash conversion solution.
- Create a simple web page that prompts user to upload PowerPoint presentation file to the server
- Convert it after uploading using COM API or Command Line interface in a web page code
- Heavy CPU load and memory consumption. If several users will upload those presentations at the same time, several FlashSpring Server processes would work simultaneously. This can lead to high CPU load and higher memory consumption.
- User experience issue. Web page will not be shown to the client until the conversion process is finished.
- Security issue. User account which is used for web page generation (for IIS it is usually NETWORK_SERVICE user account) has limited permissions to activate COM objects, use PowerPoint, and access file system. To make FlashSpring Server work using such user account you would probably have to setup necessary permissions to user account (see FlashSpring Interactive Help for details).
- Queue. When user uploads their presentation to the server put information about presentation into the queue. This queue can be implemented, for example, as a database table, or a Web service at the same or another computer.
- Multiple processes. Create a process or several processes that would periodically scan the queue for new entries and convert them using FlashSpring Server. Usually 2 or 3 simultaneously running FlashSpring Server processes provide the maximal efficiency on modern server hardware. During converison, these processes can dynamically update statuses of presentations being converted by handling FlashSpring Server Events. You can run several copies of FlashSpring Server on dedicated computers, this will require purchasing additional licenses.
- Notifications. To notify user about progress of conversion process dynamically, you can use AJAX or Flash technologies, or just simply display conversion status reloading web page.